ISSUES WITH FDA
Because it is being sold as an OTC or supplement it does not have to comply with the laws for FDA approved drugs. However FDA gave them a warning letter on April 28, 2011 informing them that their claims regarding the effects of their product and the disease they claim are curing, make their product a drug (because it is intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or to affect the structure or function of the body of man). And because FDA considers their product a drug, it must not be introduced into interstate commerce unless an FDA-approved new drug application (NDA) is in effect for it.
In other words the main issue FDA had with the company that produced Viruxo was “their marketing materials”; basically they were not allowed to use words like “genital herpes treatment” and “cure for herpes” because only approved drugs can treat “genital herpes”. Oral herpes was an ok word because oral herpes can be self treated at home with OTC products, but not genital herpes. FDA did not have an issue with the substances contained in the Viruxo products or with the products themselves, they were safe for the public, taking the pills was Ok in their eyes, as long as the company did not claim to cure herpes.
As far as can be seen the company complied, if you take a look at their website’s product page now, you will notice:
– disclaimer in the footer
– on the homepage, the box stating: “Viruxo is manufactured in US in a FDA registered facility…”
– across the top of the site “There’s No Cure For Herpes Outbreaks.”
– the text in the “about us” page: Our goal is to someday find or help find the cure for Herpes. Until then we will provide the highest quality, most effective product available to you.
Did changing their claims affect their sales? I do not know. Of course while researching for Viruxo you may have come across tens of blogs promoting the product as a cure for genital herpes; some claim that these independent sites belong to the company producing Viruxo. Even if they do not belong to Viruxo the owners of those sites receive a commission from them for selling their product, so they do have a personal interest in portraying Viruxo as the “most effective herpes cure”.
Let’s check now the FDA approved ingredients:
– Bioperine – bio-availability of Lysine and Zinc is increased by up to 30%.
– Zinc Sulfate,
– Vitamin C,
– Biotin – is used the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of amino acids. Also helps promote healthy skin and help skin heal.
– Choline – helps in the transfer vitamins, B6, B12 and Folic Acid.
– Citrus Bioflavonoids – in conjunction with vitamin C , can promote healthy skin.
– Folic Acid – is necessary for the production and maintenance of new healthy skin cells.
– Niacin – to promote healthy skin.
– PABA – helps promote healthy intestinal bacteria and promote full assumption of important compounds.
– Panthothenic Acid – helps in wound healing at the skin level.
– Riboflavin – promotes healthy skin around the lips, mouth and genital areas.
– Rutin – helps to control free radicals, that may damage skin cells.
– Thiamin – Certain viruses deplete Thiamin from the body.
– Vitamin B6 – primarily used to increase amino acid, glucose and lipid metabolism. Helps maintain a strong immune system.
– Vitamin B12 – used to promote nerve and nerve ending health.
These ingredients are substances that are already on the market in other forms and combinations of natural, organic or homeopathic products. You may have already read about some of them and their effects directly on the virus or on the sores. If not, type “natural remedies for herpes” in google and you will come across them. Most of them are FDA approved, or can be found out in other brands on the market that FDA previously approved. Like all natural remedies, these substances can be very efficient for some people and have limited effects for others. You’ll have to try and see the remedies that work best for you. Read reviews about all treatments for herpes existing on the market here.